One of the things that many homeowners overlook when it comes to protecting the house is the electrical system. Power surges that affect your home's wiring can be damaging to your electronics, appliances, and the core electrical system in the house. Even when you don't notice significant power surges, repeated small ones can cause cumulative damage that you won't detect until it's too late to repair. Here are some tips to help you understand how to protect your home from this invisible hazard.
How to Protect Your Home
It's your responsibility to protect your house from the risk of a power surge, but it can be difficult to determine how you best do that. Luckily, there are several things you can do to reduce your risks in your home.
Ensure Your Wiring is Grounded – Your home's wiring needs to be grounded correctly to help reduce the risk of power surges. Check the ground around your power meter for the presence of copper-capped rods. There should be a few inserted into the ground around the meter, and each rod should have a wire attached to the copper cap. This is your electrical ground – it creates a diversion point where excess electrical current can be discharged. This ground structure will typically draw smaller power surges away from your home. If the wires aren't connected or you can't find these rods, call an electrician to examine the wiring.
Add a Surge Protector – You may have seen power strips and outlet plugs that include surge protection as part of the unit. These are designed to block power surges from reaching the items plugged in to those outlets. You can use this same technology on a bigger scale by installing a whole-house surge protector on the inbound wiring. You'll need an electrician to ensure that it's done properly and safely. You may even want to change out all of the power outlets in your home with surge-protection-equipped units. This provides you with a solid protective barrier for your electronics and appliances.
Electrical surges are a definite threat to every home, particularly since the increase in current can lead to electrical shorts. These shorts can potentially cause a structure fire, so it's important that your home be adequately protected. By understanding some of the surge protection measures you can take, you'll be better equipped to keep your home safe. For more information about electrical services, contact a company like G.J. Rossi & Son.